Massachusetts offers a wide range of programs in medical, legal, and community interpreting. Some of the programs include a translation component.
• Boston University offers certificate programs in medical, legal, and community interpreting for people able to speak, read, and write English plus Spanish, Portuguese, or Chinese fluently. There also exists an internship program for those who have earned certificates.
Center for Professional Education
1010 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd floor
Boston, MA 02215
Tel. 866-633-9370 x402
• Bristol Community College’s certificate program prepares students who are bilingual in Portuguese to work as interpreters in a variety of community settings, including legal and medical.
Bristol Community College Community Interpreting
777 Elsbree Street
Fall River, MA 02720
Program director: José Costa
• Bunker Hill Community College offers a part-time evening Medical Interpreting Certificate Program designed to prepare graduates to qualify for employment in hospitals, clinics, chronic care facilities, and health maintenance organizations. The program is one of the school's Allied Health Programs, which are taught at its Chelsea campus.
Bunker Hill Community College
250 New Rutherford Avenue
• Cross Cultural Communication Systems, Inc. assists students to function as bilingual professionals in a qualified human services and healthcare workforce. It offers certificate programs in medical interpretation, interpreting in mental health settings, and legal interpretation.
You can view the latest issue of Communicator Express, where training opportunities are listed. 800 West Cummings Park, Suite 3800-3900
Woburn, MA 01801
The Millyard Technology Park
43 Technology Way, 2E3
Nashua, NH 03060
Contact: Zarita Araujo-Lane
• Language Connections offers a six-week 60-hour medical interpreter training program in Boston developed by Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Foundation to enable participants to become competent medical interpreters. The program is offered in: Arabic, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Mandarin Chinese.
2001 Beacon Street, Suite 105
Boston, MA 02135
• Language Bank offers free medical interpretation training to qualified candidates at its Manchester, NH and Worcester, MA locations. Language Bank is licensed and has been providing its comprehensive 60-hour training course for almost 10 years. Its trainers are active interpreters in the field who bring their expertise and real-life experiences into the classroom. A unique component of the course is a 15-hour practice session where language-specific coaches, as available, work with individual students to foster the mastery of medical terminology, review homework, and conduct realistic role-plays that prepare students for the real world of interpreting.
14 East Worcester Street, Suite 300, Worcester, MA 01604
340 Granite Street, 3rd floor, Manchester, NH 03102
• The Massachusetts Court System, Office of Court Interpreter Services, occasionally provides training to interpreters employed by the court. Currently the office employs approximately 175 interpreters of language ranging from Spanish and Portuguese to Haitian Creole, Vietnamese, Chinese, Khmer, Polish, and Russian. Narda Campusano-Horton is the program and training manager.
Office of Court Interpreter Services
2 Center Plaza, 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
• The University of Massachusetts Amherst offers two types of interpreting certificates for undergraduate and graduate students.
• International Translation Company offers 8-week program or 2-week intensive program in medical interpreting four times a year.
https://thetranslationcompany.com/translation-directory/translation-schools/university-massachusetts-amherst-translation-center/ Contact: Prof. Edwin Gentzler
1807 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02118
Shamso Ahmed: Shamso@itctranslation.net
• Berkshire AHEC offers medical interpreter training in western Massachusetts, with assessments in Springfield and Pittsfield and classes in Springfield and online.
For more information, visit www.berkshireahec.org.
• MedTalk Training is a 60-hour online, self-paced medical interpreter course.
English-Spanish program with IMIA accreditation
• Stephen Sanford has used the Soundcloud platform to create a training resource for both simultaneous and consecutive interpreting. Most of the material is legal, and includes a bail argument, a change-of-plea colloquy, as well as jury instructions, police reports, and arraignments.There are also some exercises that do not include any legal vocabulary. The source language is English, although in some consecutive exercises the source language is Portuguese.
Whereas some of the interpreting programs listed above include translation components, the following programs specialize solely in translation.
• University of Massachusetts-Amherst offers a Master of Arts in Translation Studies, which is a separate track of the M.A. in Comparative Literature. This is generally a four-semester full-time program.
Translation Center, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
19 Herter Hall
Amherst, MA 01003
Contact: Prof. Edwin Gentzler (Director of the Translation Center)
• University of Massachusetts-Boston offers an online two-semester undergraduate certificate program in Spanish/English translation designed to meet the increasing local, national, and international demand for professional translators.
Department of Hispanic Studies, University of Massachusetts-Boston,
McCormack Hall, 4th floor, Room 618, 100 Morrissey Boulevard
Boston, MA 02125
Contact: Peggy Fitzgerald
Translation or Interpreting
• New York University's School of Continuing and Professional Studies offers certificates in a number of languages, primarily in translation, but also in interpreting. Programs are designed with flexible formats.
For information on translation and interpreting programs around the country and around the world, contact the American Translators Association at www.atanet.org about their publication, “International Certification Study” or see the ATA’s list of approved translation and interpreting schools at www.atanet.org/certification/eligibility_approved.php.
Online Interpreter Training and Translation Courses
- University of Denver has ten-week online courses in Spanish<>English translation studies leading to a certificate.
- Glendon College
in Toronto, Canada, offers a one-year online program culminating in a
graduate diploma in general interpreting. Students can also attend a
second year on campus for a master of conference interpreting degree.
- Interpreter Education Online is a language-pair-specific training
program for court interpreters. Basic and advanced programs and
single-topic units for English, Arabic, Albanian, Spanish, Portuguese,
Russian, German, French, Haitian Creole, Polish, Hmong, Vietnamese, and
Morgane Serio, Course Administrator
- Online Resources for Conference Interpreter Training (ORCIT)
Free online classes for basic interpreter training provided by the European Union